[postgis-users] data modeling

Nandorov nandorov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 09:44:32 PDT 2008

Hi list,
I need some suggestions about data model. this post might be on postgresql,
but i'm gonna storage geometry, sorry if i'm posting in the bad side.
I want to store data from network connections in a town. I found two ways to
storage devices that participate in the network. First, i create a device
table which contains all the devices in the network (including geometry, in
this case a point), with a an auxiliar table that stores the device type.
Also, a third table which stores the devices specifications. The second way,
i create a father table device and then child tables for each type of device
that inherits from device table.

I think the first way is easier to make, but with a large amount of data (1m
registers or so) querys will get slow, because all devices are in the same
table. I was thinking on creating an index by device type and id.
With the second way, i think it would work faster because i search in the
table of the devices that i want. but i would have to create one table per
device type. So i would have to create a form which allows the user to
create tables dynamicly.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

PD: sorry for my bad english