[postgis-users] Intersection of 2 large maps overlap at a corner

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Oct 24 14:18:23 PDT 2008

If you are running 8.3, I think since we don't have our costs set for spatial functions, the ST_Intersects may be taking higher priority than the other conditions because you have it listed first.

Try doing

 SELECT
    ST_Intersection(GeoB.the_geom,GeoQ.the_geom) as intersect_geom,
    GeoB.*,
    GeoQ.*
 FROM
    sj_100k_geopy as GeoB,
    sf_quat_geopy as GeoQ
 WHERE
    GeoB.ptype not in ('Qls','Qls?') AND GeoQ.ptype not in ('br','br?') AND
    ST_Intersects(GeoB.the_geom,GeoQ.the_geom)

If that improves things, try setting a cost on the ST_Intersects function to say 150 and see if your original query performs better.

Hope that helps,
Regina