[postgis-users] PostGis on an existing Postgres installation

James Cauchi jamescauchi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 02:31:36 PDT 2008

Hi PostGis Community,

My Question:
Does everyone have a separate PostGis and Postgres db in their server
or do people put all their data in the PostGis db?

Background:
I have been using Postgres DB since September and just now I need to
add GIS support to my application so the obvious thing was to install
PostGis.
During my PostGis installation a new db (called PostGis) was created.

I need to link my goereferenced data to other data in my db before i
display it to the user on the map and that is why i need all the data
in 1 db.
cross-db references are not allowed in Postgres so I am left with 2 options:
1. Copy all my existing data to the PostGis db
2. Copy the whole PostGis db into my existing db.

Both these options seem cumbersome and pretty silly so I must be
missing something here - please enlighten me.

thanks

James