[postgis-users] SRID confusion

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Oct 30 15:01:45 PDT 2008

Brent,

Which version of PostGIS are you using?  I'm guessing an older version.

 If I do this

SELECT AsText('SRID=4326;POLYGON((1 2 3, 4 5 6, 7 8 9, 1 2 3))')

I get this

"POLYGON((1 2,4 5,7 8,1 2))"

Which observe has no SRID information.

If I do this
SELECT AsEWKT('SRID=4326;POLYGON((1 2 3, 4 5 6, 7 8 9, 1 2 3))')

I get
"SRID=4326;POLYGON((1 2 3,4 5 6,7 8 9,1 2 3))"

(which observe maintains the SRID info)

So maybe an earlier version included an SRID which would obviously be 0 or
-1 since it basically throws that information away so is for all intents and
purposes is forced to unknown now.

So I guess my only suggestion - stay away from AsText if you care about SRID

And Use ST_AsEWKT or AsEWKT instead and ST_GeomFromEWKT or GeomFromEWKT.

Hope that helps,
Regina