[postgis-users] SRID confusion

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Oct 30 18:31:13 PDT 2008

Hi Regina,

Still using 1.1 on this system.

The isssue I have is that any geometry created by a postgis geometry processing function has a SRID there for each individual polygon within the multipOLYGON.

This causes QGIS to crash, & the internal SRID is always reported as 0 by astext().

If I extract the astext() output, cut out the internal SRID, & re-insert to the table without this, everything seems happy, & astext() returns the text with no SRID for the constituent polygons & QGIS is fine

This may have been addressed in later versions of PostGIS, but I don't recall any mentions of this as a bug or problem for anyone else.

This means there are two acceptable formats for a PostGIS multipolygon (both acceptable with isvalid() for example), one with internal SRID values & one without, applications such as QGIS are happy with geometries which do NOT have the internal SRID specified, but PostGIS is only creating multipolygons with the internal SIDs explicitly specified.

Cheers....

   Brent