[postgis-users] Problem with records being stripped out

Mary Whelan Mary.Whelan at asu.edu
Tue Oct 7 16:01:35 PDT 2008

We use a stack of GeoServer, PostGIS, and Open Layers.  When I try to
load certain shapefiles using the shp2pgsql command, PostGIS seems to
strip out some records but not all.  This happens with any US Federal
government shapefiles, I suspect ones derived from Census data (it
happened with Dept. of Agriculture and GNIS shapefiles today).  The
error seems to indicate an encoding problem, but when I look at the
original shapefile, there aren't any accent marks or non-English
characters.  Can you help me understand what is happening and how to
work around it?

Thanks!

Mary Whelan

Arizona State University