[postgis-users] Generating PNGs from PostGIS

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Sep 5 12:32:26 PDT 2008

Another option...

Use ogr2ogr to extract the data you require in GMT multiline format then draw the map with GMT & use ps2raster to generate the png from the GMT postscript output.

Totally script/commandline based & GMT rivals any free or commercial package for quality cartographic output.

I have scripts which pretty much do this. The map extent can be derived from the data to be plotted, standard background layers are plotted, the selected data is overlaid, appropriate text is rendered & a png is created... almost too easy :-)

Cheers,

Brent Wood