[postgis-users] TIN support yes or no?

Courtin Olivier olivier.courtin at camptocamp.com
Sat Sep 20 10:13:35 PDT 2008

On Sep 20, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

Paul,

> and I have a hard time reconciling that to the
> real use-case needs of TIN-in-database (really large, region-spanning,
> billion-face TINs).

Well, why want to store such kind of TIN structure into a database ? :)

If you refer to an MNT, such geometry don't really have properties, so
IMHO it doesn't make sense to use a spatial database to deal with them.

On the other hand, you could use TIN structure (or PolyhedralSurface)
with a lot of 'quite small'  3D features, in City modeling applications
for instance.

--
Olivier