[postgis-users] TIN support yes or no?

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Mon Sep 22 13:27:05 PDT 2008

Courtin Olivier wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
> Paul,
>
>> and I have a hard time reconciling that to the
>> real use-case needs of TIN-in-database (really large, region-spanning,
>> billion-face TINs).
>
> Well, why want to store such kind of TIN structure into a database ? :)

So one doesn't have to recompute a surface repeatedly.  I'm currently
working on a project where I need to build up a surface model on a
provincial scale, computing the overlay of streams and other
hydrographic features.  Since I only have the resources to build a small
portion of the entire surface at a time, I'm forced to generate a very
small surface, and with a large buffered area, slowly pan over the
entire province, thus generating the TIN in the overlapping buffered
areas repeatedly (estimated to take a total time 1200 CPU hours).

Having a reusable TIN stored in the database is rather appealing.

This is of particular interest: streaming TIN generation - nice!
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/papers/ilsst-tin2dem-06.pdf

Cheers,
Kevin