[postgis-users] TIN support yes or no?

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Mon Sep 22 13:45:47 PDT 2008

I think this is very interesting as well.  Why store "TIN structure in a
database"??  On the surface, I think that it is reasonable to say, for
the same reason that you store anything other than strings and floats in
a database?  The answer is so that you can have robust access to query
logic, independent of a specific file system, integrated with SQL, and
in the case of TIN's, potentially exploitable via geo-processing
queries.  This would offer a very powerful advantage.

In many cases, the TIN can be a substitute for raster data, a highly
efficient one (not in all cases of course).  For terrain modelers, this
could be fantastic.

$0.02,
r.b.

Robert W. Burgholzer