[postgis-users] Setup problems: "cache lookup failed"

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 04:57:33 PDT 2008

Toby White wrote:
> I'm trying to get going with postgis. I installed it fine using fink on
> my Mac OS X laptop; I'm now trying to install it on a Linux server.
>
> This is using ubuntu 8.04, which has the following packages:
>
> * postgresql 8.3
> * postgis 1.3.3
> * proj 4.6
> * gdal 1.4
> * geos 2.2.3
>
> all install fine, but when preparing a template postgis database using
> lwconfig.sql, I get the following:
>

> postgres at domU-12-31-39-00-88-36:~$ psql -d template_postgis -f
> /usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql
> BEGIN
> psql:/usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql:44: NOTICE:  type
> "histogram2d" is not yet defined
> DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
> CREATE FUNCTION
> psql:/usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql:50: ERROR:  cache
> lookup failed for type 16769
> psql:/usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql:56: ERROR:  current
> transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

(cut)

> Any ideas what's going wrong, or how it could be fixed?
>
> Toby

Wow. Given that the first 2 lines of CREATE FUNCTION statements do
exactly the same thing (but with slightly different names), it sounds as
if your PostgreSQL installation/OS/hardware is just plain broken.

I'd reinstall the PostgreSQL & PostGIS packages, making sure that they
match your architecture and try again. If that doesn't work, I'd try
compiling PostgreSQL from source and verifying that the regression tests
  actually pass.

HTH,

Mark.

--