[postgis-users] Calculating Attributes

Luigi Castro Cardeles luigi.cardeles at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:37:27 PDT 2009

Hi

be careful with units. This formula returns the area using projection's
units (degrees, meters, kilometers etc). If that's the case maybe convert to
some metric projetion

UPDATE table1 SET area_column = ST_AREA(ST_TRANSFORM(the_geom,
srid-of-metric-projection)); -- this returns, normally, square meters.

The problem is chose the right projection for your data (maybe more than
one).

Luigi Castro Cardeles