[postgis-users] Rasters in PostGIS

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Apr 16 17:27:57 PDT 2009

I've done this before using a similar approach you have and using GDAL to
read the elevations from the GeoTiff and dump them into an elevations table
with point geoms.  If I had to do it again, now that we have WKT Raster in
the works, I'd probably try that if you don't mind compiling yourself.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster

Mateusz has a nice test drive example of WKTRaster

http://mateusz.loskot.net/2009/03/30/crunching-wkt-rasters/

Hope that helps,
Regina