[postgis-users] newbie question about non closed rings

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 01:55:30 PDT 2009

Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Mark Cave-Ayland,
> I forget were we planning on making this a switch option in later versions
> of PostGIS?  So that you could bring in polygons with unclosed rings and fix
> them in the db?

Well the result of the earlier investigation showed that having a switch
will just cause more problems than it will solve so this isn't going to
work :(

I've always been a great believer in keeping the checking reasonably
strict in an attempt to try and maintain the quality of geometries
within the database, however recently there appears to be an increasing
use cases on the list of people wanting to perform cleanup/processing
directly in the database and it would be stupid to ignore this.

I think that if both Oracle Spatial and MS-SQL allow geometries to be
stored with deformed features (i.e. incomplete rings) then I could be
persuaded that the ERROR upon insertion should be downgraded to a
WARNING instead. Would anyone like to check this behaviour and report back?

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk