[postgis-users] newbie question about non closed rings

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Apr 17 03:45:31 PDT 2009

> I think that if both Oracle Spatial and MS-SQL allow geometries to be
> stored with deformed features (i.e. incomplete rings) then I could be
> persuaded that the ERROR upon insertion should be downgraded to a
> WARNING instead. Would anyone like to check this behaviour and report
back?

Mark -- I can check on SQL Server and see.  I have Oracle XE installed
too so I guess once I figure out how to use it I can check on that too.
Unless if someone knows off hand.

HOWEVER: I don't really care if those allow bad geometries or not,
because at least comparatively I have found PostGIS has more cleaning
functions than SQL Server and I imagine if you are using Oracle XE your
options are limited anyway so you may want to use PostGIS to clean your
geometries before you stuff them in Oracle.  So it makes more sense for
PostGIS to allow these things in since you have a better chance of
fixing them in PostGIS :)

We should focus more on outputting OGC compliant geometry constructs and
less on preventing people from bringing in invalid things.  It makes it
difficult for people coming from older versions of PostGIS to upgrade
that were more liberal if we don't give that option in some way. As Paul
likes to say "Be liberal with what you accept and conservative with what
you emit", but of course we don't want to go too far.

Thanks,
Regina