[postgis-users] union operation

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Aug 7 00:13:02 PDT 2009

Nathan,

Which version of PostGIS and GEOS are you using.

Do a

Select postgis_full_version();

(you should be ideally running GEOS 3.1.1 and above)

Shared vertices should not be an issue but there are some annoying rounding
problems we are working on isolating when they occur.

What does cause this problem more frequently are invalid geometries.  So as
a first step,

Verify all your polygons are valid with a

SELECT count(*) where ST_IsValid(the_geom) = false

Will return number of invalid geometries and you can exclude these from your
union just to verify your problems are with valid geometires.

If your problem is with all valid geometries, it would be helpful if you can
isolate the issue to unioning subset of polygons and attach that so we can
investigate.

Hope that helps,
Regina