[postgis-users] How to deal with linestring that is not simple (OGC compliant)

Pavla Novakova pavla_novakova_work at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 01:46:37 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm very new to both GIS and PostGIS spatial database. I've started read
PostGIS manual (1.4) and on chapter 4.2.5 found:  "As such, many PostGIS
methods require, or more accurately, assume that geometries that are
operated on are both simple and valid."

This has broken my idea how to represent GPS track in PostGIS database: I
thought about to save GPS track as linestring created from trackpoints, but
this may generally lead to non-simple linestring.  My next thought was to
split the non-simple linestring to multiple simple linestrings and this is where
I need your help. Is PostGIS capable to do it for me? If not, what tool
(best using java) can I use to split complex linestring to OGC compliant
multiple simple linestrings please?

Thank you very much for any help.
Pavla Novakova