[postgis-users] Center line

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Thu Aug 20 08:28:44 PDT 2009

Hi Ihab,

Not impossible, but also not yet implemented in PostGIS.  I think what you may be after is a form of voronoi
skeletonization computation.

This site has some nice examples illustrating the problem.
http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~palagyi/skel/skel.html

We've implemented something like this in Java a while ago as an opensource plugin to JUMP to aid us in finding the
centerline in double-lined rivers or lakes.
http://www.jump-project.org/project.php?PID=SK&SID=OVER#skgen

Cheers,
Kevin