[postgis-users] postgis slow performance

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Aug 27 21:31:28 PDT 2009

Yes an explain would help.  My guess is that since both PostGIS and TSearch
use GIST.  I assume there is a GIST index on your tsearch vectory query?

One will be selected first over the other and perhaps that order is wrong.
I'm not sure what the difference in speeds are between the 2 if any and
probably depends on your dataset as well.

My guess is though that the btree index will most always win out first so in
the first case -- teh order of application of filters is more predicatable
and probably more efficient.

8.1 is also kind of old and there have been a lot of planner improvements
made since then and improvements in GIST as well as I recall.

Hope that helps,
Regina

  _____