[postgis-users] Length of Bigint, Double and Text fields

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Tue Dec 1 09:16:14 PST 2009

Chris Hermansen wrote:
> Peter;
>
> The canonical description of DBase files seems to be
>
> http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/

Well, first of all, I do not know which dBase version is targeted by ArcGIS.

Second, I doubt the exact values in
http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/data_types.html#DATA_TYPES.

 From our tests, both dbase III and dBase IV can handle text fields <=
254 characters (and not < 254).
Further, dBase III can handle numerics with <= 19 digits and not < 18
digits. dBase IV limits this to <= 20 digits.

The above mentioned tool identifies ArcGIS generated files as dBase IV,
in clear conflict on what is said in the above mentioned Wikipedia article.

Cheers,

Peter

--

Dott. Peter Hopfgartner