[postgis-users] ST_Difference lots of lines with lots of polygons

Christy Nieman cnieman at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Dec 18 11:10:20 PST 2009

Hello,

I have been having difficulty figuring out how I might go about doing a
difference of many lines and polygons.  For context, I have many (>
3,000,000) contour lines that I want to difference based on many (>
180,000) lakes.  My goal is to remove the sections of the lines that are
within the polygons.  I know that I can use ST_Difference(aLine,
aPolygon) to do this for one feature, but, what would the syntax look
like to go though all my line and all my polygons and return just the
lines/parts of lines that are outside of the polygons (and do this in as
quickly and resource-friendly way as possible)?  The machine I am
working on is a relatively well-powered desktop (quad core, 6GB RAM).

Thanks for any insight/suggestions,

Christy
--
Christy Nieman