[postgis-users] ERROR: array value must start with "{" or dimensioninformation

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Feb 10 20:01:22 PST 2009

Ben,

The below you have works okay on our 8.2 and 8.3 installs.

Normally I output the fields I am inserting into and also am explicit about
the casting behavior.  You are allowing the system to cast
To a geometry and its possible you have some default cast defined in your
system that is casting to another type.

Try doing
INSERT INTO points(pt,name)
	VALUES(ST_GeomFromText('POINT(0 0)'), 'Origin');

Leo