[postgis-users] river network

storma-ipb at indo.net.id storma-ipb at indo.net.id
Wed Feb 18 20:40:49 PST 2009

Dear Kevin,

thank you very much for the information and also for SQL query.
I will certainly exercises it in my data set.   I am pleased to
know that at least it is possible to use PostGIS for this type
of data set.   My data set consist of 117 rivers sorounding one
big city. Four of them are very large rivers having width up to
500 m. Therefore,  the rivers are used as a means of
transportation and also recreational area. Part of the river
are under influence of dynamic tidal. The Major of the city is
promoting his city to be one of river-related touristic area
and would like to take inventory of all river characteriistics
sorounding his city. Knowing which rivers flowing into which
rivers is important to know the interrelation of each rivers
(otherwise tourist will get lost in swampy area and end up in
the ocean). Some rivers might not connected at all to other
rivers. To capture this interrelation, one river is divided
into segments. One segment has the following  attributes;- start node-end node (Nodes representing points where other
river entering the river under consideration),- river depth,
- river width,
- having tidal influence or not,
- intermittent or not,
- blocked or not
- dead end or not
- Turbidity
- Nitrate content
- Salinity
- Orthofosfate content
- Distance to Hotels

If this project is succesful, two other similar  cities are
waiting in the queue..
You said that the river should be digitized in downstraem
direction (mimicing the river flow??). Is there any different
when we digitized them in upstream direction?

best regards,
surya