[postgis-users] Stack Builder freezing on Windows

Jim Graham jim at nrel.colostate.edu
Fri Feb 27 13:44:20 PST 2009

Mark,
Thanks for the quick reply.  I searched my system and could not find a
folder named "postgis_installer".  I tried using the "Stack Builder" from
the "start" menu and received the following error shown in SBError_1.gif.
If I click "Ignore" I receive the second error.  The log file is empty and
the installer window then freezes.

The firewall was turned off through the installation of PostgreSQL and
PostGIS.  I have not changed any of the installation or configuration files.

I just spent some time with one of our networking folks and he verified that
the port was open and PostgreSQL is listening.  We tried repeatedly with
different variations and were unable to get it to install.  One of the
errors was that a template database already existing and it could not remove
it.  We checked PostgreSQL and did not see a a template database (it was a
new install of PostgreSQL.

I was writing up this email and walking back through the installation and it
worked!  I ran the installer from the downloaded temp file
("postgis_1_3_5_pg83.exe") and without creating a spatial database.  I still
received the SBError_1 and it did create a database.  If there is a new
version of the installer I'd be happy to test it in the future (we have
other servers that are clean we could try it on).

Thanks!
Jim