[postgis-users] problem with topology

Sufficool, Stanley ssufficool at rov.sbcounty.gov
Mon Jan 5 08:31:21 PST 2009

This is exactly how I version data. I use a trigger function in
PostgreSQL to detect column changes and insert the OLD.<geometry column>
with the OLD.<pkey_column> to another table (try <table name>_history.
The target table has columns with default values for recording the
date/time and user that performed the transaction.

create function tr_geom_trans()  returns trigger as $$
BEGIN
 insert into mytable_history (table_id, old_geom, mod_date, mod_user)
SELECT OLD.oid, OLD.the_geom, now(), current_user;
 return NEW;
END;

$$
language "plpgsql" volatile