[postgis-users] postgis-postgre-arcsde

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Jan 7 04:59:20 PST 2009

P Adj,

The  GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE ON public.Geometry_columns TO
username;

simply gives the designated user rights to read, add, delete, update the
geometry_columns table which is the table that holds meta data about
each geometry column in the database.

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ch04.html#id2585
859

You always want SELECT  rights for all users who will be reading data,
but you really don't need the

INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE

except for the users that will be creating new spatial tables, adding
geometry columns to existing tables and dropping geometry columns.

If you can GRANT on any user, then your GUI is probably doing the same
as what the above SQL script does.

I actually haven't played with ArcCatalog/ArcMap much (have that still
on my todo).  The closest I got to that was helping a fellow coworker
resolve a very obscure MDAC corruption that prevented him from
connecting to City's SQL Server SDE via ArcMap and ArcCatalog and was
giving cryptic messages in ArcMap that none of the ArcMap experts around
here could figure out - (admittedly had really nothing to do with
ArcMap) - go figure.

Hope that helps,
Regina