[postgis-users] river network labeling

surya storma-ipb at indo.net.id
Mon Jan 26 09:20:46 PST 2009

Dear Nicolas,

I have two tables. One table consists of geometries of 100 rivers with its
tributaries. Each river and its tributaries (branches)  is  divided in more
or less 10 segments, so i have 1000 river segments in one watershed. Second
table cosists of segment attribute of each river  such as
upstream-beginning-node (FROM) and downstream-ending- node (TO), segment
name, river name, water level, etc. How I can join both tables and have
segment attribute displayed in webmapping (f.e. Mapserver). I have ever seen
example in road labeling, where they have attribute for each segment suc as
fromleft, toleft, fromright, toright. What does this attributes refer to? Is
it also possible to SQL-query which river tributaries (branches) flow into
which certain river in this river network?

I hope my question does not take to much of your time.

best regards,

surya