[postgis-users] timespan and ogr2ogr from postgis

Jeff Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Fri Jan 30 17:11:25 PST 2009

I have no idea where to send this and after signing up for the another
list server, I thought I might try here. Let me first say that I have
been using the heck out of ogr2ogr and postgis for a few days now to
generate kml files with relative ease, using commands like:

ogr2ogr -f kml himom.kml PG:"host=localhost dbname=$1" -sql "select
st_transform(boundary,4326), blah, blah, blah from my table"

While this is awsome, I need to export a timestamp/timespan into the kml
  file as well so I can make use of the time slider in google earth. I'm
a relative newbie to kml and have no idea if ogr2ogr/postgis can do
this. Is this possible from within the SQL query, or will I need to post
process the generated kml file and manipulate the file/entries myself
using another tool?

Thanks for a great tool!

Jeff Hamann, PhD
Forest Informatics