[postgis-users] add geos after installing

Shad Keene shadkeene at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 9 07:46:26 PDT 2009

I'm running Postgresql version 8.1 with postgis 1.3.6 (I believe but not sure) on  Linux RHEL5 machine.
I'm able to run the std_within (geom, geom, distance) type query but when I tried the std_intersects, I realized I didn't install the geos module when installing postgis...unless its hidden somewhere.

So, my question is, what's the easiest way to get the geos functionality?  I doubt we're going to upgrade postgis or postgresql.  I have to rely on someone who has root priviliges to do this, so I need a fairly easy way since he's not that familiar with the database.  I assume I backup the database using the standard postgresql commands?
pg_dump dbname > outfile

Or is there a special postgis backup I need to use?

Thanks for any help!
Shad