[postgis-users] add geos after installing

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 01:31:13 PDT 2009

Shad Keene wrote:

> I'm running Postgresql version 8.1 with postgis 1.3.6 (I believe but not
> sure) on  Linux RHEL5 machine.
> I'm able to run the std_within (geom, geom, distance) type query but
> when I tried the std_intersects, I realized I didn't install the geos
> module when installing postgis...unless its hidden somewhere.
>
> So, my question is, what's the easiest way to get the geos
> functionality?  I doubt we're going to upgrade postgis or postgresql.  I
> have to rely on someone who has root priviliges to do this, so I need a
> fairly easy way since he's not that familiar with the database.  I
> assume I backup the database using the standard postgresql commands?
>
> pg_dump /dbname/ > /outfile
>
> /Or is there a special postgis backup I need to use?
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Shad

Hi Shad,

This means that GEOS was not installed before you built PostGIS from
source, and so the extra code required was not built into the PostGIS
module.

To enable this functionality, you need to rebuild the same version of
PostGIS from source, but ensuring that both GEOS and the GEOS
development libraries have also been installed first. Then when you do a
standard "configure; make install", the extra routines should be enabled.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk