[postgis-users] KML Export

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Tue Jul 14 08:50:02 PDT 2009

As you've seen, there is the ST_AsKML command (http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ST_AsKML.html)
that will convert a single geometry to KML.

All you need to do is add some xml tags before the export geometry tag and again after, closing the document.

Here's an example of a simple wrapper that does this inside the database, though you'd probably want to do this in PHP:
http://lists.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/attachments/20070914/7a02d424/askml.sql

Example use case:
SELECT askml('my_title', 'description', collect(the_geom))
FROM my_spatial_table
WHERE ....

yields something like:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<kml xmlns='http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1'>
<Document>
<name>'my_title'</name>
<description>'description'</description>

<Style id='defaultStyle'>
   <LineStyle>
     <color>ff00ff00</color>
     <width>1</width>
   </LineStyle>
   <PolyStyle>
     <color>5f00ff00</color>
   </PolyStyle>
</Style>

<Placemark>
   <styleUrl>#defaultStyle</styleUrl>
   <MultiGeometry>
     <Point>
       <coordinates>-122.319,47.164</coordinates>
     </Point>
     <Point>
       <coordinates>-122.272,47.067</coordinates>
     </Point>
   </MultiGeometry>
</Placemark>

</Document>