[postgis-users] postgis newbie install

Sachin Srivastava sachin.srivastava1984 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 01:12:10 PDT 2009

On 07/14/2009 08:42 PM, Michael Savarese wrote:
> PostgreSQL PostGIS newbie here. On windows XP box, I've installed
> postgresql 8.3.7 as server and followed with postgis 1.3.6 with
> application stack builder. didn't get any errors after several
> attempts. When using postgis manager plugin on QGIS version 1.0.2
> Kore, it says PostGIS support not enabled.  Anyone have a impromptu
> checklist ?
Are you sure the database to which you are connecting contains PostGIS data?

Please run the following query:

SELECT postgis_lib_version(), postgis_scripts_installed(),
postgis_scripts_released(), postgis_geos_version(),
postgis_proj_version(), postgis_uses_stats();

If the following query returns an error, the plugin manager will say
"PostGIS support not enabled". Also an error means PostGIS is not
installed in the database.

The Application Stackbuilder creates a template_postgis database, create
a database using the template and try connecting to it.