[postgis-users] postgis newbie install

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 01:47:02 PDT 2009

Michael Savarese wrote:

> PostgreSQL PostGIS newbie here. On windows XP box, I've installed
> postgresql 8.3.7 as server and followed with postgis 1.3.6 with
> application stack builder. didn't get any errors after several attempts.
> When using postgis manager plugin on QGIS version 1.0.2 Kore, it says
> PostGIS support not enabled.  Anyone have a impromptu checklist ?

Hi Michael,

Even once you've installed PostGIS, you still need to "spatially enable"
a database by loading the PostGIS functions into it. See the
instructions at
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.3.7SVN/ch02.html#PGInstall
from step 7 onwards for what you need to do.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk