[postgis-users] How to get the nearest point for a given point from a geometry of multilinestring

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Mon Jul 20 22:13:14 PDT 2009

If I understand you correctly, you could first find the 2-point line
segment within your multilinestring that is within some tolerable
distance to your intersection point.  The endpoints of the linesegment
would be vertices closest to your intersection point.

Here's an old way of extracting the line segments from a linestring if
it helps.
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2008-March/018734.html

Or, use ST_Line_Locate_Point
(http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/ST_Line_Locate_Point.html)
to determine the percentage along your linestring the intersection point
occurs.  Then for every vertex determine their percentage along to find
the two vertices of interest.

-- Cheers,
Kevin