[postgis-users] spheroid bounding box calculation

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Jul 23 13:08:33 PDT 2009

Nearest neighbor, as Stephen notes in the followup is not something
that is necessarily easy in general. However! Another development
on-stream for PostgreSQL 8.5 will allow us to both (a) use k-d tree
indexes for points, which are much more efficient and (b) to do
nearest-neighbor searching using the index tree, which will be a great
deal more optimal for general cases.

However, those changes are a good 9 months out (we need new PgSQL
release *and* new PostGIS release to leverage it). In the meanwhile,
an iterative box that doubles until it finds something is your best
bet. There should be examples in the wiki, it's not an uncommon
question.