[postgis-users] Transportation representation of a postgis linear layer

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jul 30 12:24:33 PDT 2009

ahmed at elegantdesigns.ca wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I have a road centerline layer for a local municipality, I was wondering:
>
> * how can I conver the intersections similar to what's found on
> ftp://ftp.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/information/NRN_V2/Geobase_Best_Practices_NRN.pdf
> page 11 and 12 section 3.2.3?
>
> * What are some of the ways I can represent road directionality?

create a oneway column and use values like:

TF  traffic flow is one way to_node -> from_node
FT  traffic flow is one way from_node -> to_node
B | blank | null  taffic flow is both ways

> * How can I represent center-turning lanes (usually a lane between lanes
> where people can turn left)

1) tag the segment with the number of lanes and add attributes which
identify restrictions by lane number
2) digitize multiple lanes and apply turn restrictions as appropriate.

> * what are some of the ways to represent a non-interchange
> overpass/underpass?

This depends on whether you model needs to be fully noded at all virtual
intersections or not. If not then you can just digitize them so thay to
not intersect at a common node. It is more common, to fully node all
intersections and then set a z-level attribute for each end. So at
ground level the segments would have a z-level=0 and at one level of
overpass the z-level=1, etc. so a ramp from ground level up to an over
pass might have z-levels on 0 and 1 at its respective ends.

I think the bigger question is assuming you have all this data entered,
what to you plan to do with it? I assume load it into a router, but then
the question becomes what are the requirements of the router and what
are the requires for entering z-levels, and turn restrictions.

-Steve W