[postgis-users] Postgresql JDBC Driver source download problem

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Tue Jun 30 18:48:37 PDT 2009

Hi Jenny;

The source code downloadable from the page you mention is not a zip file.

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-8.3-604.src.tar.gz

is a gzipped tar file.  You need gnu tar or any old tar and gunzip to
get this back into a source tree.  You may need other gnu tools to build
it, I don't know.

It may be the case that the easiest way to build it on Windows is to
first install cygwin - available from http://www.cygwin.com/ - which
will give you gnu tar, or alternatively you may wish to avail yourself
of a Linux machine if you have one handy.

If you just want to use it, you don't need to build it first; just get
the appropriate jar file for your JVM and PostgreSQL version.