[postgis-users] Postgis Spatial Interpolation

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue Mar 3 08:47:28 PST 2009

There is a second solution, PL/R: the complete R system embedded in a
PostgreSQL server, exactly the other way round from RGdal. On Unix you
have to compile it with PostgreSQL, about the same way as you include
PostGIS. There are Windows executables for PostgreSQL with PostGIS and
PostgreSQL with PL/R, but not a complete combined system, I believe,
although that should not be difficult to produce. I do not know what is
easier, working in the R environment and doing GIS with RGDAL, or
working in PostGIS and doing statistics with PL/R. Probably both. I have
done some work with PL/R, and I have been flabbergasterd (is that
English?) with the power of such a combined system. Problem is, I just
haven't enough time to really explore it. You need to know a little
about many things: SQL, R, MapScript, a bit of JavaScript, and so forth,
all quite complex languages, more complex than they look at first sight.
I *do* know a little about all that, but then you need the time and
concentration to actually do something useful with it. I don't think
there is anyone near me here in Amsterdam who knows even as little as
me, so Regina's page will really help me, there should be more of them
(Regina's, I mean).

Anyway, give it a try (www.joeconway.com).  Joe is one of the leading
PostgreSQL developers, certainly on a par with Steve, Frank, Daniel and
Paul,  and equally courteous and helpful as they always have been on his
mailing list. I was surprised to see how small the code is, with which
he linked those two massive Open Source packages. That alone is a
triumph of Open Source.

Greetings from a cloudy Amsterdam (but spring is near).

Jan