[postgis-users] Can I build an index on combined non-spatial &spatial columns?

M.A. (Thijs) van den Berg thijs at sitmo.com
Wed Mar 18 04:00:22 PDT 2009

Thanks :)

Does PostGIS support partial indices? http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/indexes-partial.html

If so.. I could do something like this:

CREATE INDEX building_type_spindx_school
ON buildings
USING GIST(the_geom)
WHERE building_type='School';

CREATE INDEX building_type_spindx_bar
ON buildings
USING GIST(the_geom)
WHERE building_type='Bar';

Yet another option would be to partition the buildings table into
child tables per building_type (ie have child table containing all the
schools, another child table having all the bars), and have individua
spatial indices on the child tables. Is that an option?