[postgis-users] Is Index fetish bad?

Ben Brehmer benbrehmer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:51:19 PDT 2009

Hi All,

In what kind of scenarios should one not create an index on a table?

As I understand it, indexes can only be beneficial for SELECT
statements. Unless of course the query planner inadvertently creates an
inefficient query plan. I'm wondering how are INSERTs, DELETEs, and
UPDATEs affected by the overhead incurred by index updates. Maybe the
updating of the index is negligent in comparison to the actual INSERT,
UPDATE or DELETE?

Is there any performance difference if an index is being updated for a
thousand row table versus a 20 million row table?

Just wondering,

Ben