[postgis-users] Correct use of ST_Transform

Davies, Ben Ben.Davies at dec.wa.gov.au
Mon May 4 21:28:27 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am attempting to use ST_Transform but am a little confused on how it
works based on what I have attempted to do with it.

I have a table that has an SRID of 28350 and want to transform the
records in it to SRID 4283

I have run the following code ...

<pre>

/* Create table to insert transformed records */

CREATE TABLE spl_road_centre_line

( gid serial NOT NULL

, "def_text" character(50) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Some Street'

)

WITH (OIDS=FALSE);

ALTER TABLE spl_road_centre_line OWNER TO postgres;

-- Add geometry column

SELECT
AddGeometryColumn('','spl_road_centre_line','the_geom','4283','LINESTRIN
G',2);

/* Insert transformed records */

INSERT INTO spl_road_centre_line(gid, the_geom)

SELECT gid

     , the_geom

     , st_transform(the_geom, 4283)

  FROM spl_road_centre_line_mga

 ORDER BY gid ASC;

</pre>

But when I view the table in QGis the coordinate read out displays MGA
and not GEO.

Is there something I have done wrong, or am I using this function
incorrectly?

Thank You for your assistance

Benton

This email, together with any attachments, is intended for the
addressee only. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify
the sender, delete the email and attachments from your system and
destroy any copies you may have taken of the email and its attachments.
Duplication or further distribution by hardcopy, by electronic means
or verbally is not permitted without permission.