[postgis-users] OIDS, PostGIS and Quantum GIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri May 8 04:36:37 PDT 2009

hm - what's wrong with having a primary key in every table? Good DB-Design
requires primary keys. Other tools will refuse to work with your data if
you don't use primary keys as well. As an example, pgadmin3 requires a
primary key if you want to edit the data in the grid view.

If you use the datatype "serial" or a sequence it is not complicated at
all to use primary keys.

Andreas

On Fri, May 8, 2009 1:18 pm, Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara wrote:
> Hello,
>
> perhaps this is a silly one, but I'm having a hard time dealing with
> primary keys restrictions in Quantum GIS. Not always is possible or
> desirable to put a, sometimes, artificial int4 PK in some tables only to
> be able to load them in QGIS. Those restrictions are very frustrating.
>
> I have been messing around for a solution, and I have experimented with
> OIDS. This seems to be enough for QGIS, but I fear the behavior of OIDS.
> I don't like the idea of non-controlled PK in my tables. So my question
> is simple: does creating a table WITH OIDS means that the OIDS will be
> part of the PK of the table like you it or not, or you have to specify
> that the OIDS are part of the PK in the ADD CONSTRAINT statement?
>
> My hope is that PostgreSQL uses internally OIDS without interfering with
> the true PK of the table, while QGIS is happy by having them around.
> OIDS will not play any role in my model other than that.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/