[postgis-users] OIDS, PostGIS and Quantum GIS

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Fri May 8 05:23:09 PDT 2009

Juan,

Agreed that this can be annoying (especially in light of some other
GIS packages which don't seem to care at all, or for instance
shapefiles.

I have had the same frustration when constructing geometries in a
query or for a view, or any type of aggregate query really. This is
also a problem for querymaps in MapServer.

The alternative I settled with was creating a false key - for instance
if the view was a makeline from points, making an id that was the gid
of the first * 100000 + the gid of the second.

That may help. It may not - but there are better minds than mine
hovering nearby, so I look forward to their suggestions.

cheers

Ben