[postgis-users] OIDS, PK, QGIS and the like, again

Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara jp.alcantara at geo-st.com
Wed May 13 09:29:03 PDT 2009

Hello all,

don't want to be a pain with this issue, but I've been off a couple of
days and want to give my final impressions about the thread.

First, thank you all for the feedback, it has been most instructing.
Several of you pointed to the solution of the serial field, at first, I
dislike the idea of having an extra field "just to make QGIS
happy" (nonetheless). I don't like the idea of a hidden, database
managed field either, like the OIDS. At the end, three reasons make me
choose the serial field as the answer: first, the hint given by Paul
that OIDS may be even disappear in upcoming versions of PostgreSQL, and
second, that I prefer one serial field per table than a global database,
somewhat hidden, unique ID field. And a third, yes, I want to make QGIS
happy :) So thank you for your advices. Issue settled for me.

Greetings,
Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara