[postgis-users] Can't Get a Shapefile from PostGIS Data

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue May 19 23:22:24 PDT 2009

I must be overlooking something simple, but I can't seem to get a
PostGIS table into an ESRI shapefile. If I use pgsql2shp, I don't get an
SRS, but when I try ogr2ogr, nothing happens at all. No error, but no
data either. So what's wrong with this?

ogr2ogr -overwrite -a_srs epsg:2232 -f "ESRI Shapefile" lidar.shp
PG:dbname=spatial1 las_tiles

When I run this, the system prompt comes back almost immediately (no
delay to indicate any activity on the database), no file is generated
and no errors reported on screen or in the PG serverlog file.

I'm using PostgreSQL 8.3.3 on Linux.

Any help would be much appreciated, 'cause I just don't see what's wrong
here.

TIA,
- Bill Thoen