[postgis-users] Unable to build WKT Raster

Gilles Bassière gilles.bassiere at makina-corpus.com
Sun Nov 1 08:03:45 PST 2009

Hi list,

I'd like to try WKT Raster but I have some troubles during install.

My first attempt was to build WKT Raster aginst PostGIS 1.3.5 source
code but the configure script fails because the liblwgeom/ directory
does not exist prior to PostGIS 1.4.0. I tried to create a symlink and
even to rename the directory lwgeom/ to liblwgeom/ but in both case, WKT
Raster don't build:

[...]
In file included from rt_pg.c:42:
pgsql_compat.h:15:1: warning: "SET_VARSIZE" redefined
[...]
rt_pg.c: In function ‘RASTER_lib_version’:
rt_pg.c:239: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘VARATT_SIZEP’
rt_pg.c:239: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment
rt_pg.c: In function ‘RASTER_lib_build_date’:
rt_pg.c:250: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment
[...]

Full configure output: http://pastebin.org/49983
Full build output: http://pastebin.org/49982
pg_config output: http://pastebin.org/49984

I've been able to track the problem down to rt_pg/pgsql_compat.h where
SET_VARSIZE seems to be redefined even if my PostgreSQL version is >8.3.
I can't find where/how POSTGIS_PGSQL_VERSION is defined though.

Technical details :
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, PostgreSQL 8.3.5 comes from package manager,
PostGIS 1.3.5 is an svn checkout and WKT Raster is downloaded from
http://postgis.refractions.net/download/wktraster-0.1.6SVN.tar.gz.

BTW, in configure.ac (l. 414) the error message says "${POSTGIS_SRCDIR}
doesn't contain liblwgeom/liblwgeom.h or lwgeom/liblwgeom.h" which is
misleading, lwgeom/liblwgeom.h did exist in 1.3.5 source tree. I don't
know which of the message or the test should be changed though.

I also tried to build and install PostGIS 1.4.0 but I can't find a way
to do so within my home directory since the --prefix option is now
ignored (bug #160). Of course, I could compile a full PostgreSQL in my
home directory but there might be an easier solution, is there?

Regards

--
Gilles Bassière - MAKINA CORPUS
http://www.makina-corpus.com