[postgis-users] Best (safest) postGIS version for postgreSQL 8.3.5?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Nov 16 07:02:50 PST 2009

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com wrote:

> What is the safest postGIS version to use with postgreSQL 8.3.5?  Is it safe to use postgis 1.4.0, for example? How about postGIS 1.3.6?
>
> Generally, should I go for higher version number, or lower?
>
> Also, can I use geos 3.1.1 and proj4 4.7.0 with postgreSQL 8.3.5? Or should I use lower version number?
>
> Many thanks,
> -Kresh

Hi Kresh,

Always go with the latest stable release, which is 1.4 since it will
contain the most number of bug fixes. The configure script from 1.4
onwards is fairly good about detecting which versions of other libraries
can/can't work with PostGIS, but if you go with the versions above, you
should be fine.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS