[postgis-users] [Resolved] Why can't PostGIS ./configure find libgeos_c ??

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 17 19:19:26 PST 2009

Thanks, Mark. And you're right. When I configured it with LDFLAGS=-lstdc++ ./configure, everything works fine. PostGIS was installed without problems, with geos and proj4 (shown in ./configure result).

Before I use LDFLAGS, ./configure just keeps popping out the error message. I have run ldconfig ad nauseam, and it just didn't work either. Only LDFLAGS solves the problem.

I still don't understand though: why? I thought the only time where I need to use LDFLAGS=-lstdc++ is during PostgreSQL installation. MapServer Verbose Linux Installation (http://marwp.cla.umn.edu/gis/docs/verbose_install.html) only mentionds LDFLAGS during PostgreSQL installation, not PostGIS.

Will PostGIS needs the libgeos_c.so again when the database is running? And will it cause problem? Will I need to permanently set LDFLAGS=-lstdc++ in the root environment variables?

Many thanks,
-Kresh