[postgis-users] Using a rectangular selection

Henri De Feraudy feraudyh at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 13:23:02 PST 2009

Hi,
  I'm working in planar coordinates. I have a Postgis database and
for starters I want to limit my attention to all geometries that intersect a given rectangle (the "selection").
I can imagine that one could enumerate all geometries and ask in each case if they
intersect the rectangle, but that doesnt seem very efficient, so what do you suggest?
I only need general guidance so I can look at the various parts of the doc.
Later I'll be wanting to clip the geometies with this selection.
Still later I'll want to consider polygonal selections.
By the way I'm accessing the PostGis database via LibPQ and have written my application
in Qt.

Thanking you in advance
Henri