[postgis-users] identifying blank geometry fields

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 01:45:55 PST 2009

Bob Hume wrote:

> select count(*) from dum where the_geom is null  gives a result of 0
>
> select count(the_geom) from dum gives a result is 1676, which is the
> total number of rows in the table
>
> This is consistent with my previous description.  The apparently blank
> the_geom fields apparently have some data, but the data doesn't
> display.  This seems odd, and makes it difficult (impossible for me, so
> far) to identify the blank fields.

Hi Bob,

Are you using pgAdmin? This is a known issue with the toolkit used in
pgAdmin in that it can't display rows longer than a certain size (I
can't remember if it's 32K or 64K at the moment).

If you try the same query from the command line in psql, you should be
able to see your geometries without any problems.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk